black screen on CPC 664

Having trouble with your old hardware, can't get your favourite game running? This is the place for you.

black screen on CPC 664

Postby didpat on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Hello
I just brought my old CPC out of the box it as stayed for 15 years, and , it doesn't seems to want to go on again...

The monitor loks OK (screen is electrostatic, and it flashes when I switch it off), but when I turn the CPU on, nothing happen on the screen (CPU and FDD leds are on).

got a hint?

Didier
didpat

Re: black screen on CPC 664

Postby woody.cool on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:50 pm

If you turn up the volume and hold down the DELETE key, do you hear the normal beeping noise?
If so, I suspect it's something wrong with the monitor.
woody.cool

Postby didpat on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:09 pm

No, I forgot to say that, I tryied that, but no sound.

I also cleaned everything inside, and checked internal connection, everything looks OK, but only the leds go on , no other reactions.

rgds,
didpat

Postby woody.cool on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:14 pm

didpat wrote:No, I forgot to say that, I tryied that, but no sound.

I also cleaned everything inside, and checked internal connection, everything looks OK, but only the leds go on , no other reactions.

rgds,

Sounds like the CPC is knackered :cry:
woody.cool

Postby didpat on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:11 pm

does that mean it is ready for the skip? :o I cant belive that, MY CPC 664!!!
or is there a way to fix it???
didpat

Postby robcfg on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:27 pm

I guess you should contact someone with technical skills so he/she can examine your 664 and see if it can be fixed.

Don't surrender too fast! :lol:
robcfg

Postby Devilmarkus on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi,
I had the same problem with my CPC 464.
It only has a CTM 640, but perhaps this will help you:
There is a Capacitor (10V, 470F) parallel connected to the 5V output of the monitor.
Try to change it. (I changed it into a 1000F,10V capacitor)
Much luck ;)

Hmmmm... Edit: I did not see, that you wrote, that the LED are working.
I think, that your CPU is down. It is on a socket and you can change it to a new z80. But better: First check the capacitors on the board.
Devilmarkus

Postby didpat on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:44 pm

after a succesfull bid on ebay, I now got : my wrecked 664, a 6128 french keyboard , with wrecked disc drive (no belt), an other quite strange 6128, with centronics connectors, calling imself "Solavox 128k" when switched on :o . this last machine required some persuasive work on the disc drive, but now works perfectly ok. :mrgreen:

but I wonder, has anybody heard of solavox before?, it as an address in Illinois on the back, so may be a US model?

on another subject, is it possible to salvage parts of a 6128 (Z80, gate array), to fit them on my wrecked 664, are they compatible?

thanks for all

Didier
didpat

Postby Executioner on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 am

didpat wrote:got a hint?

Most likely causes considering it's age would be dead capacitors or DRAM chips. The Z80 is unlikely to be blown, but some of the chips are socketed and can be easily swapped from the other CPC's without a problem. Most of the chips are reasonably cheap to replace, with the only chip that's not interchangable being the Gate Array (40010/40007). If the GA's the problem you either need another CPC to rob one from, or throw it away.

Another problem could be corrosion of the board itself, especially if it's been left in a damp environment for a number of years.

If the board looks ok, and all the caps look ok, try swapping the few socketed chips first, then if it still don't go, you'll need a good soldering iron and a solder sucker. If it is dead DRAM chips, you'll have some fun finding out which one. They're soldered onto the board and there are plenty of 'em.
Executioner
Extreme Member

Postby arnoldemu on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm

didpat wrote:Hello
I just brought my old CPC out of the box it as stayed for 15 years, and , it doesn't seems to want to go on again...

The monitor loks OK (screen is electrostatic, and it flashes when I switch it off), but when I turn the CPU on, nothing happen on the screen (CPU and FDD leds are on).

got a hint?

Didier

What Gate-Array does it use? 40007/40010??

I have some spare 40007, but I need to test them to see if they still work.
If they do, and this is the problem then maybe we can do a deal.

Kev
arnoldemu
Extreme Member